Ethnicity and COVID-19
Includes data on deaths and disparities, risk factors and economic, educational and emotional impacts.
Deaths and disparities
The following links are to data and analysis that has not been published on Ethnicity facts and figures.
- Review of disparities in risks and outcomes (Public Health England)
- Pre-existing health conditions and ethnicity (Public Health England)
- Latest insights (ONS)
- Social impacts on different ethnic groups in the UK (ONS)
- Why Black and South Asian people have been hit hardest (ONS)
- Higher incidence, morbidity and mortality in ethnic minority groups (SAGE)
- Ethnic differences in infection, hospitalisation, and mortality (OpenSAFELY)
- Parents’ and guardians’ views on a future vaccine (Bell, S and others)
- COVID-19 report (Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre)
Certain risk factors are associated with getting and dying from COVID-19.
Most data relates to time periods before the COVID-19 pandemic. Population data is from the 2011 Census.
Economic, educational and emotional impacts
COVID-19 may have a disproportionate economic, educational or emotional impact on people from ethnic minorities.
Most data relates to time periods before the COVID-19 pandemic but will help measure the impact of COVID-19 as new data becomes available.
Data publication schedule
This publication schedule forms part of the recommendations made in the second quarterly report on COVID-19 health inequalities.
|Measure title||Expected department publication||Expected publication on Ethnicity facts and figures|
|Detentions under the Mental Health Act||October 2020||February 2021|
|Patient satisfaction with hospital care||August 2020||February 2021|
|Prison officer workforce||November 2020||February 2021|
|Fire and rescue services workforce||October 2020||February 2021|
|Domestic abuse||November 2020||February 2021|
|Use of NHS mental health, learning disability and autism services||January 2021||March 2021|
|GCSE results (Attainment 8)||January 2021*||March 2021|
|GCSE English and maths results||January 2021*||March 2021|
|Students getting 3 A grades or better at A level||January 2021*||March 2021|
|Average score for students taking A levels and other qualifications||January 2021*||March 2021|
|Social workers for children and families||February 2021||April 2021|
|Confidence in the local police||February 2021||April 2021|
|Physical activity||April 2021||May 2021|
|Overweight adults||May 2021||June 2021|
|Sources of household income||March 2021||June 2021|
|Household income||March 2021||June 2021|
|State support||March 2021||June 2021|
|Persistent low income||March 2021||June 2021|
|People in low income households||March 2021||June 2021|
|Self employment||May 2021||July 2021|
|Average hourly pay||May 2021||July 2021|
|Employment||May 2021||August 2021|
|Unemployment||May 2021||August 2021|
|Economic inactivity||May 2021||August 2021|
|Employment by occupation||May 2021||August 2021|
|Employment by sector||May 2021||August 2021|
|Travel by distance, trips, type of transport and purpose||September 2021||October 2021|
|Overcrowded households||September 2021||October 2021|
|Housing with damp problems||September 2021||October 2021|
|People without decent homes||September 2021||October 2021|
* DfE would usually publish revised attainment statistics in January but because of the special circumstances in 2020, only provisional data is available.