Prison officer workforce
There is a new version of this page. View the latest version.
1. Main facts and figures
- as at 31 March 2017, just over 94% of prison officers in England and Wales for whom ethnicity was known were White (including White ethnic minorities)
- just under 6% of prison officers came from the Asian, Black, Mixed ethnicity and Other (including Chinese) ethnic groups combined
- from 2015 to 2017, the percentage of prison officers from the Black ethnic group increased from 2.3% to 2.6%, and the percentage of White prison officers decreased from 94.6% to 94.2%
- as at the 2011 Census, 85.6% of working age people (aged 16 to 64 years) in England and Wales were White, 8.1% were Asian, 3.4% were Black, 1.8% had Mixed ethnicity, and 1.1% were from the Other ethnic group
The ethnic categories used in this data
Prison officers were asked to place themselves within the following 5 broad ethnic categories:
- Asian/Asian British
- Black/African/Caribbean/Black British
- Mixed/Multiple ethnic groups
- Other ethnic backgrounds (including Chinese)
2. Prison officers by ethnicity
|Ethnicity||% of prison officers||Number of prison officers|
|Other including Chinese||0.6||100|
Summary of Prison officer workforce Prison officers by ethnicity Summary
3. Prison officers by ethnicity over time
|Ethnicity||2015 % Prison officers||2015 Number of prison officers||2016 % Prison officers||2016 Number of prison officers||2017 % Prison officers||2017 Number of prison officers|
|Other including Chinese||0.7||121||0.7||108||0.6||100|
Summary of Prison officer workforce Prison officers by ethnicity over time Summary
Data is derived from the staff administrative system used by the National Offender Management Service (now known as Her Majesty’s Prison and Probation Service, or HMPPS).
The numbers represent the data held at the point when extracts were taken (31 March each year).
Percentages have been rounded to the nearest decimal point.
Further technical information
5. Data sources
Type of data
Type of statistic
Ministry of Justice
Purpose of data source
This data is used to inform policy development, to monitor the impact of changes over time and to model future changes and their impact on the prison workforce.
The data forms the basis for workforce monitoring and decision making.
6. Download the data
This file contains the following: year, ethnicity, value, denominator, numerator.