Prison officer workforce
Last updated 30 April 2018 - see all updates
There is a new version of this page. View the latest version.
1. Main facts and figures
- in 2016, just over 5% of prison officers in England and Wales for whom ethnicity was known came from the Asian, Black, Mixed ethnicity and Other (including Chinese) ethnic groups combined
The ethnic categories used in this data
Prison officers were asked to place themselves within the following 5 broad ethnic categories:
- Asian/Asian British
- Black/African/Caribbean/Black British
- Mixed/Multiple ethnic groups
- Other ethnic group (including Chinese)
2. Prison officer workforce by ethnicity over time
|Ethnicity||2015 %||2015 Officers||2016 %||2016 Officers|
|Asian or Asian British||1.2||206||1.3||206|
|Black or Black British||2.3||401||2.4||396|
|Chinese or Other ethnic group||0.7||121||0.7||108|
|Not Known / Prefer not to say||N/A*||1,851||N/A*||2,641|
Summary of Prison officer workforce Prison officer workforce by ethnicity over time Summary
Data is derived from the staff administration system used by the National Offender Management Service. The numbers represent the data held at the point when extracts were taken (31 March each year).
Further technical information
4. Data sources
Type of data
Type of statistic
Ministry of Justice
Purpose of data source
This data is used to inform policy development, to monitor the impact of changes over time and to model future changes and their impact on the prison workforce. The data forms the basis for workforce monitoring and decision making.
5. Download the data
This file contains the following: year, ethnicity, value, denominator, numerator.