Outcomes for treatment for anxiety and depression
Last updated 4 March 2021 - see all updates
1. Main facts and figures
- in every ethnic group, over 60% of patients showed an improvement after treatment for anxiety or depression in 2018 to 2019
- the highest percentage of patients showing an improvement was in the White British ethnic group at 68.1%
- the lowest percentage of patients showing an improvement was in the Bangladeshi ethnic group at 60.8%
- in most ethnic groups, women were more likely to have shown an improvement than men
- between 2015 to 2016 and 2018 to 2019, the percentage of patients showing an improvement increased in every ethnic group
- the biggest increase in patients showing an improvement was in the Pakistani ethnic group
2. Things you need to know
What the data measures
The data shows the percentage of patients who improved, deteriorated or showed no change after being treated for anxiety or depression.
The data covers NHS referrals that ended in each financial year covered (for example, April 2018 to March 2019).
Patients complete health and anxiety questionnaires at the start and end of their treatment. Their responses are used to assess the outcome of their treatment.
A patient has shown 'reliable improvement' if there is both:
- a reliable decrease in one or both of the scores
- no reliable increase in either of them
The data mainly covers adult referrals, but a small number of under-18s are also referred.
Percentages are rounded to 1 decimal place, but are worked out using unrounded figures.
Not included in the data
Data based on fewer than 5 patients is not included. This is to protect people’s confidentiality.
The percentage of referrals with an unknown outcome is not shown, so not all percentages for the 3 outcomes add up to 100%.
The ethnic groups used in the data
Data is shown for the 16 ethnic groups used in the 2001 Census.
The data only includes patients whose ethnicity was known. This was 88% of patients in the year to March 2019.
Read the detailed methodology document for the data on this page.
In the data file
See Download the data for:
- data for clinical commissioning groups – some data is not included if it’s based on a small number of patients
- data showing percentages over time for different ethnic groups by gender
3. By ethnicity
|Ethnicity||Reliably improved||No Reliable Change||Reliably deteriorated|
|Mixed White/Black African||65.6||27.2||6.7|
|Mixed White/Black Caribbean||64.7||27.4||7.0|
|Other including Chinese||64.0||27.5||7.4|
Summary of Outcomes for treatment for anxiety and depression By ethnicity Summary
4. By ethnicity over time
|Reliably improved (%)||No Reliable Change (%)||Reliably deteriorated (%)|
|Ethnicity||Reliably improved (%) 2015/16||Reliably improved (%) 2016/17||Reliably improved (%) 2017/18||Reliably improved (%) 2018/19||No Reliable Change (%) 2015/16||No Reliable Change (%) 2016/17||No Reliable Change (%) 2017/18||No Reliable Change (%) 2018/19||Reliably deteriorated (%) 2015/16||Reliably deteriorated (%) 2016/17||Reliably deteriorated (%) 2017/18||Reliably deteriorated (%) 2018/19|
|Mixed White/Black African||60.8||61.0||64.1||65.6||28.4||30.5||26.8||27.2||7.8||6.5||7.9||6.7|
|Mixed White/Black Caribbean||58.8||61.5||63.7||64.7||31.2||30.2||27.9||27.4||7.0||6.8||7.3||7.0|
|Other including Chinese||56.4||59.0||61.7||64.0||30.8||30.5||28.8||27.5||8.1||8.6||8.0||7.4|
Summary of Outcomes for treatment for anxiety and depression By ethnicity over time Summary
5. By ethnicity and gender
|Reliably improved||No Reliable Change||Reliably deteriorated|
|Ethnicity||Reliably improved Men (%)||Reliably improved Women (%)||No Reliable Change Men (%)||No Reliable Change Women (%)||Reliably deteriorated Men (%)||Reliably deteriorated Women (%)|
|Mixed White/Black African||61.4||67.4||30.3||25.9||8.0||6.1|
|Mixed White/Black Caribbean||63.7||65.1||28.5||27.0||6.2||7.3|
|Other including Chinese||63.8||64.1||27.6||27.4||7.4||7.4|
Summary of Outcomes for treatment for anxiety and depression By ethnicity and gender Summary
6. Data sources
Type of data
Type of statistic
Purpose of data source
The data is used to monitor and improve the provision of talking therapies services for the treatment of people with anxiety, depression or both.
7. Download the data
This file contains the following: Measure, Time, Time_type, Geography, Geography_type, Ethnicity_type, Ethnicity, Outcome, Outcome_type, Gender, Gender_type, Value, Value_type, Denominator, Numerator