Further education participation
There is a new version of this page. View the latest version.
- 1. Navigate to Main facts and figures section
- 2. Navigate toNumber of people in further education by ethnicity over time section
- 3. Navigate toPercentage of people in further education by ethnicity over time section
- 4. Navigate toFurther education participation by ethnicity, compared with the overall population by ethnicity section
- 5. Navigate to Methodology section
- 6. Navigate to Data sources section
- 7. Navigate to Download the data section
1. Main facts and figures
- between 2002/03 and 2016/17, the percentage of people in further education who were from the Asian, Black, Mixed and Other ethnic groups combined increased from 13.3% to 20.5%; the number of people in further education from the same groups went up by 3%, from 627,000 to 646,000
- during the same period, the total number of people in further education fell by 33%, from 4.7 million in 2002/03 to 3.2 million in 2016/17, and the number of White students fell by 35% from 3.8 million to 2.4 million
- in 2016/17, people from White ethnic groups made up 77.7% of those in further education, and 84.8% of the overall population of England
The ethnic categories used in this data
Data has been classified using the 5 standardised ethnic groups based on the 2011 Census.
The 5 categories used are:
- Asian/Asian British
- Black/African/Caribbean/Black British
- Mixed/Multiple ethnic groups
- Other ethnic group
2. Number of people in further education by ethnicity over time
Summary of Further education participation Number of people in further education by ethnicity over time Summary
3. Percentage of people in further education by ethnicity over time
Summary of Further education participation Percentage of people in further education by ethnicity over time Summary
4. Further education participation by ethnicity, compared with the overall population by ethnicity
|Ethnicity||Ethnicity||FE learners||Population (2016 estimate)|
Download table data for ‘Further education participation by ethnicity, compared with the overall population by ethnicity’ (CSV) Source data for ‘Further education participation by ethnicity, compared with the overall population by ethnicity’ (CSV)
Summary of Further education participation Further education participation by ethnicity, compared with the overall population by ethnicity Summary
This data is based on the ‘individualised learner record’ (ILR) of people in further education, which collected by further education providers and submitted to the Education and Skills Funding Agency.
Ethnicity data is completed by the learner, and no adjustments are made by the learning provider.
Data on learners that forms part of the employer ownership pilot (EOP) is gathered from employers in the same format as the ILR and included in the ILR dataset.
Suppression rules and disclosure control
Participant numbers have been rounded to the nearest 10 to avoid identification of individuals.
Numbers less than 5 have been suppressed.
Participant numbers are rounded to the nearest 10.
6. Data sources
Type of data
Type of statistic
Education and Skills Funding Agency
Purpose of data source
Data about people in further education and their type of learning is used by Education and Skills Funding Agency to allocate funding for further education.