Self-harm in prison custody
Last updated 14 May 2019 - see all updates
1. Main facts and figures
- overall, self-harm incidents among prisoners increased for all ethnic groups between 2012 and 2017
- there was a higher rate of self-harm in prisoners from the White ethnic group than in any other ethnic group
- between 2012 and 2017, the rate of self-harm among prisoners from a Mixed ethnic background more than doubled
The ethnic categories used in this data
Prisoners reported their own ethnicity according to the following broad categories from the 2011 Census:
- Asian/Asian British
- Black/African/Caribbean/Black British
- Mixed/Multiple ethnic groups
2. By ethnicity over time
|Self-harm incidents per 1,000 prisoners||Self-harm incidents per 1,000 prisoners||Self-harm incidents per 1,000 prisoners||Self-harm incidents per 1,000 prisoners||Self-harm incidents per 1,000 prisoners|
Summary of Self-harm in prison custody By ethnicity over time Summary
Normally, to calculate the prisoner population, a 12-month average (based on prisoner counts done at the start of every month) is used where this data is available. This data was not available broken down by age or by ethnicity, so in this case quarterly data has been used to calculate the prisoner population.
Ethnicity was recorded for more than 95% of incidents of self-harm. Because of the very small number of incidents of self-harm where ethnicity is not known, this data has been excluded from the analysis.
Information is provided by prisons and published by the Ministry of Justice after data checks are completed.
Suppression rules and disclosure control
Values of 2 or fewer prisoners have been suppressed to protect confidentiality. (No incident numbers have been suppressed.)
Rates per 1,000 are rounded to the nearest whole number.
4. Data sources
Type of data
Type of statistic
Ministry of Justice
Purpose of data source
This data is used by government to:
- inform policy development
- monitor the impact of changes over time
- model future changes and their impact on the prison system
5. Download the data
This file contains the following: ethnicity, year and value