1. Main facts and figures
- between 2010/11 and 2016/17, the rate of assaults per 100 young people in custody doubled for both White young people and for young people from all other ethnic groups combined
- in 2016/17, there was an average of 18 assaults per month for every 100 young people in custody from the White ethnic group, and an average of 24 assaults per month for every 100 young people in custody from all other ethnic groups combined
- in 2016/17, the rate of assaults by young people in custody from the Other ethnic group was about 1.3 times higher than that of White young people in custody
The ethnic categories used in this data
The number of young people carrying out assaults was too small to draw any firm conclusions based on specific ethnic categories. Therefore, the data is broken down into the following 2 broad categories:
- White (including White British and White ethnic minorities)
- Other (all other ethnic minorities)
2. By ethnicity
|White||Other than White|
|Time||Rate of incidents per 100 young people in custody per month||Average population in custody||Average number of assaults per month||Rate of incidents per 100 young people in custody per month||Average population in custody||Average number of assaults per month|
The monthly population of the youth secure estate is based on the number of young people in custody at the beginning of the month, plus new admissions during the month. This is then averaged over the year and used to calculate the rate of assaults.
Figures do not include data where ethnicity is unknown.
Rates per 100 young people in custody are rounded to the nearest whole number. You can see rates rounded to 1 decimal place if you download the data.
4. Data sources
Type of data
Type of statistic
Ministry of Justice
Purpose of data source
Youth justice data is used by the government to develop, monitor and evaluate criminal justice policy for young people in custody. It reports on activity in the criminal justice system for England and Wales, giving information for the latest year and also longer-term trends.
5. Download the data
This file contains the following: ethnicity, year, value, denominator, numerator