1. Main facts and figures
- in 2017/18, police issued cautions to children aged 10 to 17 years on 10,999 occasions, and the child’s ethnicity was recorded for 9,688 of them (88.1%)
- White children received cautions on 8,018 occasions, which is 82.8% of all instances where ethnicity was recorded
- Black children received cautions on 1,108 occasions, which is 11.4% of all instances where ethnicity was recorded
- from 2005/06 to 2017/18, the total number of youth cautions given fell by 91% (from 122,282 to 10,999), and a decrease in the number of youth cautions was seen in every ethnic group
- in the same period, the percentage of cautions that were given to White children decreased from 89.7% to 82.8%, while the percentage that were given to Black children increased from 5.9% to 11.4%
- for comparison, at the time of the 2011 Census, 81.7% of all children aged 10 to 17 years in England and Wales were White, and 4.4% were Black
The ethnic categories used in this data
The analysis used the following 4 broad ethnic categories:
- Other (which includes Chinese and other ethnic groups)
2. By ethnicity over time
|White||Black||Asian||Other inc Chinese||Unknown|
The figures are taken from the Police National Computer (PNC). The PNC holds details of all convictions and cautions given for ‘recordable offences’. A recordable offence is an offence that the law says must be recorded on the PNC. It includes some offences where it is not possible for offenders to be sentenced to prison or other custody, and it excludes motoring offences.
The PNC may be subject to some error arising from data entry and processing. The data for January to March 2018 is provisional and may change. Figures may vary from those previously published, due to minor changes in classifications and other data revisions.
Administrative data sources are reported exactly as they’re recorded, with no statistical methods like weighting applied. As with all large administrative data sources, some inaccuracies may exist.
Percentages are rounded to 1 decimal place.
Youth Justice since 2008/09.
4. Data sources
Type of data
Type of statistic
Ministry of Justice
Purpose of data source
Figures shown here are derived from administrative data used for internal management information.
5. Download the data
This file contains the following: ethnicity, year, and value