Remand status at Crown Court
Last updated 4 March 2021 - see all updates
- 1. Navigate toMain facts and figures section
- 2. Navigate toThings you need to know section
- 3. Navigate toBy ethnicity section
- 4. Navigate toBy ethnicity over time (remands in custody only) section
- 5. Navigate toBy ethnicity and gender (remands in custody only) section
- 6. Navigate toBy ethnicity and age group (remands in custody only) section
- 7. Navigate toData sources section
- 8. Navigate toDownload the data section
1. Main facts and figures
- in 2017, the number of defendants remanded in custody at the Crown Court fell for all ethnic groups compared with the years from 2014 to 2016
- in 2017, defendants with Mixed ethnicity were more likely than any other ethnic group to be remanded in custody
- from 2012 to 2017, White defendants were consistently less likely to be remanded in custody, and consistently more likely to have a remand status of ‘not remanded’, than any other ethnic group
2. Things you need to know
What the data measures
The data measures the percentage of defendants at Crown Court who were either remanded on bail or custody, or not remanded.
Remand is the way people charged with a crime are dealt with until court hearings are completed. They can be:
- remanded on bail, meaning they are allowed to return home until the court hearing (sometimes with certain conditions)
- remanded in custody, which means they are held in prison
- not remanded – for example, because they were given an immediate custodial sentence
Percentages are rounded to 1 decimal place.
Not included in the data
Magistrates' courts are not included because there is not enough ethnicity data for defendants dealt with by those courts.
The data does not include details of the offence for which the defendant has been charged. It is likely that the severity of the offence will influence the type of remand status given to the defendant.
The ethnic groups used in the data
The data uses the ethnic groups from the 2001 Census. It does not include people whose ethnicity was unknown or who chose not to declare it (about 1 in 5 defendants).
Read the detailed methodology document (PDF opens in a new window or tab) for the data on this page.
The data counts individual defendants rather than cases. Multiple defendants are counted for one case, where applicable.
Each defendant is only counted once, even if multiple offences are committed. If a defendant has been found guilty of 2 or more offences, the data includes the offence for which the heaviest penalty is imposed.
In the data file
See Download the data for data for each police force area in England and Wales.
3. By ethnicity
|Ethnicity||Bail %||Bail Number||Custody %||Custody Number||Not remanded %||Not remanded Number|
|Other including Chinese||44.7||514||40.4||465||14.9||172|
Summary of Remand status at Crown Court By ethnicity Summary
4. By ethnicity over time (remands in custody only)
|Asian||Black||Mixed||White||Other including Chinese|
|Year||Asian %||Asian Number||Black %||Black Number||Mixed %||Mixed Number||White %||White Number||Other inc Chinese %||Other inc Chinese Number|
Summary of Remand status at Crown Court By ethnicity over time (remands in custody only) Summary
5. By ethnicity and gender (remands in custody only)
|Ethnicity and sex||2009 %||2009 Number||2010 %||2010 Number||2011 %||2011 Number||2012 %||2012 Number||2013 %||2013 Number||2014 %||2014 Number||2015 %||2015 Number||2016 %||2016 Number||2017 %||2017 Number|
|Other including Chinese Female||45.7||84||42.1||107||35.6||80||32.0||66||31.0||52||27.3||51||26.0||51||26.1||31||34.6||37|
|Other including Chinese Male||52.8||827||51.2||985||46.9||857||46.2||747||48.6||718||46.6||627||46.2||643||40.5||501||41.0||428|
Summary of Remand status at Crown Court By ethnicity and gender (remands in custody only) Summary
6. By ethnicity and age group (remands in custody only)
|Ethnicity and age group||2017 %||2017 Number||2016 %||2016 Number||2015 %||2015 Number||2014 %||2014 Number||2013 %||2013 Number||2012 %||2012 Number||2011 %||2011 Number||2010 %||2010 Number||2009 %||2009 Number|
|Other including Chinese Adults||39.3||395||37.9||455||43.9||608||43.6||597||46.3||690||43.3||676||44.7||781||50.7||970||52.9||816|
|Asian Young adults||32.9||229||31.2||219||35.9||275||34.6||286||35.0||293||34.2||358||33.9||431||35.3||426||34.7||303|
|Black Young adults||42.8||611||42.6||611||47.8||677||48.1||658||50.2||720||47.6||859||51.2||1,077||46.1||907||49.1||751|
|Mixed Young adults||42.3||174||37.3||168||41.5||195||45.0||234||43.8||247||43.4||294||39.3||319||43.8||326||45.5||244|
|Other including Chinese Young adults||46.8||59||49.3||67||41.1||67||46.0||64||53.4||71||55.0||111||50.6||128||45.6||99||42.9||69|
|White Young adults||30.8||1,446||31.4||1,699||33.8||2,231||34.7||2,483||35.5||2,587||33.8||3,114||34.2||4,184||31.9||4,078||31.0||3,228|
|Other including Chinese Juveniles||55.0||11||47.6||10||48.7||19||68.0||17||37.5||9||42.6||26||54.9||28||52.3||23||56.5||26|
Summary of Remand status at Crown Court By ethnicity and age group (remands in custody only) Summary
7. Data sources
Type of data
Type of statistic
Ministry of Justice
Purpose of data source
The data is used by the government to develop, monitor and evaluate criminal justice policy. It reports on activity in the criminal justice system for England and Wales, giving information for the latest year and longer-term trends.
8. Download the data
This file contains the following variables: Measure, Year, Sex, Age group, ethnicity, remand status, count, denominator, value
This file contains the following variables: Measure, Year, Sex, Age Group, Ethnicity, Remand Status, Police Force Area, Count, Denominator, Value